Information Literacy Course
- Using the library’s website and catalog
- Search strategies
- Accessing databases
- Evaluating Resources
- Citation styles
This lesson addresses ACRL Standards 1, 2 and 3.
- Students will successfully navigate the library’s website.
- Students will find printed and electronic materials using the catalog.
- Students will use strategies to construct a search string for use in databases and on the web.
- Students will locate and use databases appropriate to their areas of study.
- Students will critically evaluate journal articles and web resources
- Students will demonstrate a basic grasp of formatting and citation within APA and/or MLA
- Navigating the library’s website
- Using the catalog
- Search Strategies (Handouts: Search Strategies and Research Topic Worksheet)
- Writing a recipe
- Boolean operators
- Using parenthesis & quotation marks
- Connecting concepts into a search string
- Accessing Databases (Handouts: Citing Resources Worksheet)
- Academic Search Complete
- Database specific to course matter
- Evaluating Resources (Handouts: Evaluating Resources…)
- Scholarly articles and peer-reviewed journals
- Currency, authority, objectivity
- Pair & Share with examples
- Who, what, where, why, when and how?
- Using Google to find credible resources
- Citation Styles (Handout: Writing in APA Style)
- In text citation
- Reference list
- Conclusion and Assessment